How to Set Light Intensity?

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

According to you guys feedback we have summarized some points of light intensity settings.​

df30677d716323c4683c444bc7426f16.jpeg
There are many factors to be considered in light settings, which should be comprehensively considered according to tank size, the type and status of aquatic plants, Co2, and substrate fertility...

For example, in the early stage of a planted tank, the aquatic plants have not yet adapted to the new environment (including water quality, substrate, whether to use tap water, etc.), so the light intensity setting should not exceed 30%, which will help plants quickly adapt to the environment. If the light intensity is too high, algae will bloom, and the growth of algae will affect the growth of plants.

When the plants grow normally, if there is Co2 in the tank, it is recommended to set 50%-90% (if there are more shade-loving plants, it is recommended to set 50%-60%, and half shade-loving plants and half sun plants, it is recommended to set 60%-70%, and there are more sun plants, it is recommended to set 80%-90%); If there is no Co2, it is recommended to set 50%-70%, which can reduce the growth of algae.

As for color settings, it can be set according to the color of the plants. If there are more red plants, the red channel can be larger, and if there are more green plants, the green channel can be larger (Tank with more green plants will render to reddish by adding appropriate red channel). It is recommended to directly select the preset mode in our app like 'Red' or 'Buce' mode or fine-tune the preset mode according to your own preferences.

In brief, raising the aquatic plants first in the early stage, and then considering colors in the later stage, otherwise it will be easy to bloom algae.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the info.
Could you also share how do we set to 60% pictures of the app will be good.
Also some explanation on the current app different preset setting.

I have 2 x chihiros light.
30cm wrgb 2 slim on a 30cm tank. Default green setting
45cm wrgb 2 slim on a 45cm tank. Default green setting

Both on for 6 hours a day with same setting and both running co2 .
My 30cm tank is beautiful.
My 45cm tank started growing hair algae.

After much check and test, I assume should be its a new tank setup thus my light intense might be too strong.

Would appreciate if you could provide some picture of the apps with the setting.

Hi thanks for the info.
Could you also share how do we set to 60% pictures of the app will be good.
Also some explanation on the current app different preset setting.

I have 2 x chihiros light.
30cm wrgb 2 slim on a 30cm tank. Default green setting
45cm wrgb 2 slim on a 45cm tank. Default green setting

Both on for 6 hours a day with same setting and both running co2 .
My 30cm tank is beautiful.
My 45cm tank started growing hair algae.

After much check and test, I assume should be its a new tank setup thus my light intense might be too strong.

Would appreciate if you could provide some picture of the apps with the setting.
Everyone's tank is different, the water, substrates, plants, CO2, fertilizer...So we can only recommend the preset mode that tested in our lab, they are good for a mature tank you can adjust slightly to get better color rendering.

According to you guys feedback we have summarized some points of light intensity settings.​

View attachment 7
There are many factors to be considered in light settings, which should be comprehensively considered according to tank size, the type and status of aquatic plants, Co2, and substrate fertility...

For example, in the early stage of a planted tank, the aquatic plants have not yet adapted to the new environment (including water quality, substrate, whether to use tap water, etc.), so the light intensity setting should not exceed 30%, which will help plants quickly adapt to the environment. If the light intensity is too high, algae will bloom, and the growth of algae will affect the growth of plants.

When the plants grow normally, if there is Co2 in the tank, it is recommended to set 50%-90% (if there are more shade-loving plants, it is recommended to set 50%-60%, and half shade-loving plants and half sun plants, it is recommended to set 60%-70%, and there are more sun plants, it is recommended to set 80%-90%); If there is no Co2, it is recommended to set 50%-70%, which can reduce the growth of algae.

As for color settings, it can be set according to the color of the plants. If there are more red plants, the red channel can be larger, and if there are more green plants, the green channel can be larger (Tank with more green plants will render to reddish by adding appropriate red channel). It is recommended to directly select the preset mode in our app like 'Red' or 'Buce' mode or fine-tune the preset mode according to your own preferences.

In brief, raising the aquatic plants first in the early stage, and then considering colors in the later stage, otherwise it will be easy to bloom algae.
Hi
Ok about the red and green color but what about the blue?
I am using a wrgb II and i have noticed that if i use preset 70% and temperature of 7500K the alge is growing but if i reduce the blue color i can reduce algea. So my question is how i have to adjust the light?
Thanks
Regards George

Hi
Ok about the red and green color but what about the blue?
I am using a wrgb II and i have noticed that if i use preset 70% and temperature of 7500K the alge is growing but if i reduce the blue color i can reduce algea. So my question is how i have to adjust the light?
Thanks
Regards George
Use the preset mode you can adjust it slightly by +- 5%.
If you just planted your tank donot use preset mode.

Are the recommended percentage values calculated from the light's max output watts? In other words, you would use the watts reported by the Chihiros app as the guide.

For example, on my WRGBII 30 Pro I like to set blue and green to only halfway of red and white. The 30 Pro outputs 37W max. Let's say I want to remain within the recommended range of 50-90%.

So, for the recommended 50% value (~19.5W) my settings would be:
R: 72
G: 36
B: 36
W: 72

And similarly, the recommended 90% would result in (~33W):
R: 120
G: 60
B: 60
W: 120

I'm confused if my reasoning is correct, because in my examples the R and W percentage values are obviously way higher than 50% or 90%.

Also, what I assume might complicate the calculations a bit is that the different colors output watts differently. 100% of green (others being at zero) reads 17W in the app, whereas 100% of blue only 9%.

Last edited:
Are the recommended percentage values calculated from the light's max output watts? In other words, you would use the watts reported by the Chihiros app as the guide.

For example, on my WRGBII 30 Pro I like to set blue and green to only halfway of red and white. The 30 Pro outputs 37W max. Let's say I want to remain within the recommended range of 50-90%.

So, for the recommended 50% value (~19.5W) my settings would be:
R: 72
G: 36
B: 36
W: 72

And similarly, the recommended 90% would result in (~33W):
R: 120
G: 60
B: 60
W: 120

I'm confused if my reasoning is correct, because in my examples the R and W percentage values are obviously way higher than 50% or 90%.

Also, what I assume might complicate the calculations a bit is that the different colors output watts differently. 100% of green (others being at zero) reads 17W in the app, whereas 100% of blue only 9%.
The recommend percentage is the whole intensity. You can adjust the RGB percentages slightly.